Monday, January 18, 2016

KARYOTYPES, TELOMERES, AND EVOLUTION UPDATE

A BRIEF LITERATURE SEARCH ON THE INTERNET

Despite my disdain for looking for molecular phylogenies that fail to consider generation time when relating phyla, I did a quick look at what was going on in telomere and karyotype contributions to evolutionary knowledge.  There seems to be a lot more research done than I anticipated in http://evolutioninsights.blogspot.com/2016/01/karyotypes-telomeres-and-evolution.html .  The references cited by the reports below could be a start.

Elsa Vera, Bruno Bernardes de Jesus, Miguel Foronda, Juvana M Flores, and Maria A. Blasco had a Cell Press Open Access report in Cell Reports 2, 732-737. Oct. 25, 2012 entitled-
"The Rate of Increase of Short Teleomeres Predicts Longevity in Mammals", included the finding from, I think rodents, that as the telomeres are reduced there is a reduction in longevity.

Jana Fulneckova, Tereza Sevcikova, Jifi Fajkus, Alena Lukesova, Martin Lukes, Cestmin Vicek, F. Franz Lang, Eunsoo Kim, Marek Elies, and Eva Syborova had "A broad phylogenetic survey unveils the diversity and evolution of telomeres in eukaryotes" published in Genome Biology and Evolution, Advance Access published February 9, 2013 dol:10.1093/gbe/cut 019.  The human type nucleotide repeat sequence of a telomere was considered to be TTAGGG.  The same sequence appears to be quite common in mammals but modified and often longer in each telomere of primitive monads and other protists.

"The genome diversity and karyotype evolution of mammals" was reviewed in Molecular cytogenetics.org/content/4/1/22 by Alexander S. Graphodatsky, Vladimir A. Trefonov, and Roscoe Stayor.  It was the one I particularly wanted to look at more closely, but I think I accidentally deleted the download and couldn't find the search terms to get back to it when I Googled it.

Many of the author names had special marks on some of the letters.  I also couldn't read my own handwriting very well, but if you Google anything like it with telomeres, karyotypes, and evolution you may find them and many more.  Its my third week with my new tablet and I still haven't mastered much of it, especially the touch screen.  The "OK GOOGLE" voice command seems to do better than I can with the keyboard entry for a search.

Joe Engemann    Kalamazoo, Michigan    January 18, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment