Friday, December 30, 2016

Honeybee: Poems

A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM MY DAUGHTER

Naomi Shihab Nye's 2008 book, Honeybee: Poems, is a delightful book of poems and prose with observations that are very thought provoking in numerous ways.  My daughter had not read the book but had heard the author at some poet's meeting where the author had read the fourth selection, "Museum".

Before I was aware of that I had commented to my spouse that it was a selection I wanted her to read even if she did not want to read the book.  I had read her a couple of snippets from other entries and by the time I was one-third of the way through the book felt it was a must read for everyone who values peace, kindness, the environment, and all people.

As one who did not take the time in the 50's, 60's and 70's to tap the content of popular culture of those days it was refreshing to get a taste of it that I suspect others got in the music of the time.  Pages 77 to 109 have a few entries that might distress people who do not want their status quo disrupted.  So if you had some distress getting to page 77, skip to page 110.  at the very least, read the last selection, "Gate A-4".  I hope you read many more and find your favorites.

Joe Engemann    Kalamazoo, December 30, 2016.

Honeybee: Poems by Naomi Shihab Nye is a 164 page Greenwillows Book imprint of Harper Collins Publishers.   www,harpercollinschildrens.com   If you read the book you will find out more about her and what stimulated many of the views I hope you will also appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment