Monday, August 18, 2014

CREATIVITY: Last First

The Two Way Street

Was the name of my 1974 manuscript on creativity which was never published.  Since it dealt with creativity and the value of reverse viewing, I am starting at the end with a series of cartoons it contained.


The caption "Don't say anything, he thinks he's creative." was a jab at myself.  Perhaps it was a reminder to not take myself or my ideas too seriously.  The cartoon followed the final chapter, number 13, which did not particularly talk about how to be creative, but reviewed some ideas I had entertained that did not appear in earlier chapters.

An idea for improving certification processes for teachers and my realization that administrators can be an effective source for good preceded ideas I thought important to work for as a congressman.  I did not run for congress in 1969 after thinking about it and discarding the idea.  An example of one idea entertained was the following in a section on "Social Needs."

"There were programs I was interested in pushing that were dubious campaign issues because of complexity or the potential for misunderstanding or arousing effective opposition.  As a university teacher I enjoyed a retirement program (TIAA-CREF) where my rights were immediately vested and could be taken from job to job.  Why should not all workers have that advantage?  It is especially irritating to see corporations rob older workers of their pensions by either mismanagement or corporate restructuring.  So a federally licensed pension system similar to TIAA-CREF should be a right of all."

Permission to use the above cartoon in non-profit publication or personal use is granted with the hope you will credit evolutioninsights.blogspot.com

Joseph G. Engemann    August 18, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment